Friday, January 8, 2010

Are you serious?

Natalie from Hope Springs Eternal posted about her irratability and things people say to pregnant women and it has seriously had my blood boiling thinking about all the things that have been said that have royally pissed me off and now I just really need to get it off my chest. Readers BEWARE!

1. DO NOT make comments about how much weight I've gained. I KNOW I've gained more weight than is recommended during pregnancy but my doctor has said it is not harmful to my pregnancy or my baby so STEP OFF! Do not tell me I look "broad" (Josh), do not tell me that I'm going to need gastric bypass surgery to get the weight off or that it's going to be difficult. You know what it's like for YOU, not me.

2. I don't want to hear your opinions about the name we have chosen, unless they are positive. If you don't like my daughter's name, you can suck it. We like it and that's what matters. And if she decides to change it when she is 18, then she can.

3. I don't care if so and so worked 8 jobs and raised 10 kids while they were pregnant. That's not me and pregnancy affects everyone differently so don't compare me to those other supermoms. Seriously, how does telling me that stuff benefit my situation anyway?

4. Yes I would really like to have a natural childbirth. That is my first choice. I am not against pain management but I would really like to experience the birth of my daughter as much as I physically can. Don't ask me what I plan on doing and then roll your eyes at me like I have no idea. I realize I've never experienced childbirth before and I realize that I might not be able to physically handle the pain once I get to that point, but how about some encouragement. Everyone tolerates pain differently.

5. I know having a child is going to change everything and I don't need to keep being reminded of that. I'm 29 years old and I'm ready to be a mother. I'm not retarded, I realize things are going to be different. Do I know the extent of how things are going to change? No, but I am as prepared as I can be.

This post may have additions to it later or it may be deleted I don't know which, but I had to get it off my chest and now I feel a little better.

4 comments:

  1. oooooo! I love your new look.

    I didn't really get to the point of hearing many comments like this- I don't know if they happen later on in pregnancy or if I just missed the a-holes, but I feel badly for both you and Nat for having to put up with such weirdos.

    So.. here is what I have to say:

    1. You look GORGEOUS! All of your belly pictures make me a little jealous because you have a beautiful baby bump.

    2. The name you have chosen is basically AWESOME! I love it. Now, the names we have for girls are Indigo and River so I am not sure my opinion would count for much to the nay-sayers but it is so fun and original and I think she is going to love her name. A lot.

    3. I have never understood why people talk about how hard they had it when they were pregnant and then expect you to say, "Oh, yeah- maybe my life should suck too." Uh, no thanks.

    4.Woman having been having babies naturally for thousands of years. It is not a novel concept. If you want to do it, you can do it too! If you end up changing your mind, what in the WORLD does that have to do with anybody besides you?

    And that 5th one IS the one I heard a lot. For me it was annoying because Liam was a surprise. We were not planning on having kids. We were actually preventing when he was conceived, and having a hard enough time dealing with the idea that the life we planned was getting thrown out the window without constantly being reminded of it. So, I think.. if you have DECIDED to have kids- you are already way ahead of the game. And.. yeah, it changes everything- so does every life event- that is how people grow and change. That is how life goes on. Duh!

    You are going to be an awesome mama. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, sister, let it all out. LOL. I felt so much better once I wrote my ranty post. I was feeling particularly surly that day. I had actually drafted it immediately after that stupid ass woman criticized Nellie's name and I was still seething from her comments.

    The one you mentioned that KILLS. ME. is when people treat me like I have NO IDEA what's in store for me, and like it's going to be THE WORST THING EVER. It's like.... I got pregnant on purpose. VERY MUCH ON PURPOSE. I am fully aware that I will get no sleep, get pooped on, will never again have privacy, am going to have to deal with tantrums and fits... AND I STILL ELECTED TO DO IT! GYAH!

    We need to write a book, and on the cover in BIG FAT BOLD LETTERS, it says:

    HEY! MORON! Here's What You Should NEVER, EVER SAY TO A PREGNANT WOMAN.
    By Natalie and Lindsey.

    I think it's catchy, don't you?

    Love the new look, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And this is why you girls are my favorite!!

    Michelle, River was one of my girl names too! It was my first choice but my husband HATED it so Hunter was the ONLY name we could agree on!

    Natalie, YES AND YES to the book!! We should include Michelle who can add a preemie mom stupid comment section!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ::Golf claps::

    I think pregnant women are the strongest women in the world, being that we have to put up with the BS people throw at us while dealing with the physical and emotional changes we're going through.

    Most of the women who make these comments (at least to me) have more than one kid. I just want to ask "If it's that bad, why in the world did YOU do it again?"

    On a side note: I admire you for attempting au naturale. I know you'll do wonderful!

    ReplyDelete