We are officially parents with no help now. My mom left today, back to California. And for the first time in a lot of years, I cried. Josh hugged me and reassured me that I was doing a great job and I shouldn't be scared. She is my security blanket, I told him. I tried not to rely on her TOO much while she was here. I didn't want to get used to having her around and then not knowing what to do when I was on my own again. She does have "magic hands" as she likes to call them. She is one of the only people who can calm Hunter down when she seems inconsolable. She's way better at it than me and Josh. It must be some weird Grandma smell she has (and no I don't mean an old lady smell, I mean special grandma smell).
I have a new appreciation for my mom now. It's something I never would have realized had I not given birth to my own child. I don't know how my mom managed to stay calm through all the cuts and scrapes and tumbles and tears and heart breaks my brother and I had growing up. Just thinking of Hunter having her 2 month shots makes me break out in hives (not really, but something like that). My mom was a single mother of two kids. She worked as an office manager in a dental office during our early years and later joined the Sheriff's Department where she has been a deputy for 20 years now. All the while she made sure to make EVERY birthday special, every holiday she created some sort of magic, whether it was catching leprachaun's on St. Patrick's Day, finding the magic reindeer during Christmas or screeching with excitement at the Easter Bunny foot prints (which turned out to be baby powder) during Easter. She is an amazing mother. I really can't even put into words how I feel or how much I love and appreciate her. I hope that I can become the mother to my daughter that she has been for me.
I call my mom so much now! And sometimes I get all choked up thinking about how hard she worked and now I get it- I really get it!
ReplyDeleteYou are a fabulous mommy.. and you are just going to get better and better!!
That was a really loud comment. I was a bit exclamation point heavy. Sorry.
ReplyDeleteOh, and I just realized I gave you back the award you gave me. Sigh. But you ARE a beautiful blogger-- still.. take the sunshine one if you want. You are all sun-shiny too. :)
Aww. Lovely appreciation of your mom!
ReplyDeleteSounds like a tough transition to new parenthood, but that you guys are doing a great job!
Wow....that was the most beautiful thing you could say about me...Thank you. I love you and you are an amazing Mom....I know you are going to be great....and I can't wait to introduce Hunter to the magic reindeer...:)
ReplyDeleteMy mom has become my best friend. We were pretty close before, but since having my daughter she has truly become my best friend! My mom stayed with me all day and all night the first week after I delivered and then stopped over during the day after that. Moms are amazing people and now you are joining the club! You are going to be an amazing mom!
ReplyDelete